Friday 19 December 2008

Winter Ramblings

This is the New Forest ramblers (shadow of) walking through Pennington Marshes.
This area was used for salt production many centuries ago. Pans were formed by building rudimentary sea walls on the mudflats and salt water was allowed in and left to partially evaporate. Complete drying was done in boiling vats. As this industry declined local farmers used the marsh area for grazing livestock.

This is a photo of the forest just north of Burley.

Winter is a good time to go to the coast, its possible to park the car without too much trouble. The structure is the new Boscombe Pier. One has to ask 'Is it finished?' It's very basic and I think they must have run out of money when buying the benches. Next year the new reef for surfing will be finished nearby.


Choose your beach hut. I think these might be the new design/colour that are available for sale.

The RNLI jetski - not a busy day.

There was no one on the beach and even fewer in the sea brrrrrrrr!

Sue and I were invited to join our Portsmouth friends help celebrate Christmas by joining them for ONE of their Christmas dinners.

This is me completing my 850th geocache. It was not in one of the best positions - next to the A338 spur road. That is the main road into Bournemouth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As always, |I am extremely impressed with the quality of your photography, which I think is getting better. Particularly like the one with the rambler's shadows in the marshes. Don't think I can keep up - need another challenge!
Carol x